Envison Board

30 Under 30
 
 
 
I have been grinding hard this year trying to get my business off the ground that I've neglected the simple pleasure of writing and blogging.









I've been thinking a lot about what I want for myself. After taking a homebuyer's class, I feel really empowered and focused. I know how to navigate the scary home buying and credit repair processes and I am making plans to succeed. the most important thing for me to do at this point is to make/retain more money to pay off my debt, whilst saving money for the house. My plan is to cut back on life's excesses and to enjoy the simple things.

I look at my friends, family and classmates and I think they are so accomplished. The irony is, they often look at me as if I am more accomplished! I guess it is because we sometimes forget to cherish the talents, the blessings and the strides we've made in our own lives. So instead of the typical 30 Before 30 list full of things to do. I have made a list of 30 things I have done or are doing before the age of 30 to feel proud about and be thankful for.
 
 30 Under 30 List
  1. Donated blood and tissue
  2. Ran a 5k (several actually)
  3. Becoming more financially independent**
  4. Sold a piece of artwork
  5. Paid off my credit cards
  6. Met someone important/famous
  7. Went on a trip with my closest girlfriends
  8. Refinished and created a piece of furniture
  9. Planted trees
  10. Graduated from High School
  11. Received a college degree (BS, BS, MA)
  12. Climbed the Great Wall of China (5x)
  13. Lived abroad
  14. Learned a foreign language to fluency
  15. Started a business
  16. Owned and financed a car
  17. Won an award (Art, Poetry, Community Service)
  18. Won medals and accolades in something competitive (Track & Field)
  19. Be(ing) in love**
  20. Met a famous person
  21. Became a member of a sorority
  22. Been a mentor
  23. Planned a charity event
  24. Grew locs and cut them off
  25. Been on national TV
  26. Been featured in the newspaper or magazine
  27. Received a promotion
  28. Started a website/blog
  29. Received a merit scholarship
  30. Took my mom on an all expense paid vacation
**Works in progress


My Envison Board




I like making lists. Grocery lists. Tasks lists. Tracklists. All kinds of lists. I guess that's why I enjoy poetry--it's like an eloquently written list of thoughts and ideas in which to tackle. Doesn't one feel a sense of accomplishment after "getting" a really profound piece of poetry? Thus, I see my Envision Board as a visual list of desires amd duties.

I'm focused on 3 major things this year: HEART. HOME. "HIM" going to improve the condition of my heart by doing things that make my heart happy. I am going to become a homeowner by paying attention to my finances, spending less, and researching the city's development plans and grants. I am going to have "him"...nuff said! Sike, it's not that simple, but my plan is not to over-complicate things, to enjoy things as they are and to be patient so we can grow together. Everything else is a subheading--things like improving my skin, growing out my hair and getting fit.

While it looks colorful and so promising, the images are nothing without a plan. In fact, my special person encourgaed me to focus on "systems" rather than results for 2014. Systems, are task-based and encourage lifestyle changes to help you achieve a healthy and fruitful life. For example, rather than setting a goal to lose the ever trite 20 lbs, try instead to develop a "system" of walking daily and drinking a fruit and vegetable smoothie. By adhereing to this regiment, the pounds would surely come down. When you have exhausted that system, develop another one to continue your healthy journey (which so happens to include weight loss).

Likewise I have developed several systems to make sure I stick to my goals. For example, I have created a budget almanac. Yes I have painstakenly listed my financials each week for the last 3 years...thank you online banking! The almanac is different from a diary because I am actually forecasting what my future expenses will be. This is neccessary for me so that I don't overdraft my account. Last year I had over $400.00 in service fees and overages *yes,absolutely shamefull*. By forcasting where I will be, who's birthday is coming up, which places I go to accept cash only etc. I can make sure I am near my own bank and to withdraw money and from which account to charge each month. This may sound tedious and tiring, but I like lists. So this system works for me. Each day I log how much I spent for the day. I give myself a check for days where I am under budget from the previous years. By following this system, I will surely have more money saved, which has long been my goal. I think I can do it this year though with my system :)

Comments

  1. I love the idea of a system. It makes sense to figure out how you're going to reach your goal. I know you can do anything you put your mind to :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Face

New Years Eve/ning Out 2011

BESTWEEKEVER